The weather is changing. It feels as though we just started fall and already it’s cold enough to be winter on some days. As I have spent many years trying to beautify my landscape, I dread this time of year due to the amount of work involved – however it makes a difference. There is so much clean up to be done before the NJ winter sets in and freezes over my property. I have found that the better I prepare my lawn for winter, the better my spring landscape will look. In the quest for the best NJ landscaping on my block, I have finally come up with a plan on how to prepare my lawn for winter!
What should I do to prepare my landscape for winter?
- Remove leaves that cover grass or plantings – since leaves can suffocate the underlying areas, they should be removed by blowing or raking away
- Remove plants that did not make it – sometimes weather and location do not agree with the plant
- Prune overgrown shrubs – enhances the natural growth
- Remove branch limbs that have fallen – limbs coverings can also cause suffocation
- Winterized your sprinklers – with temperatures dropping, water should be drained
- Apply a winter feed fertilizer to your lawn – this provides nutrients that will help growth in the spring
ALL of these steps are all critical in establishing a healthy and well kept nj landscape for winter and the following seasons.
Now take a look around at your clean outdoor areas - you are ready to consider your options for landscaping winter ideas! Stay warm inside dreaming of what you will plant in the spring. Let the fun begin – Jersey Landscaping can provide more ideas and tips on how to prepare your landscape for winter and beyond.